Monday, January 24, 2011

Gymnastics

Last weekend Creative Princess had her first ever gymnastics competition.  She is in rhythmic gymnastics and she competed in three categories-floor, hoop and ball.  She did a great job for her first competition!  She had a fantastic attitude and one of the biggest smiles around.  It was fun seeing her really enjoy herself.

In her level and age bracket, she ended up really only competing against three other girls-all from her own team.  She took second in 3 categories (including the all around) and third in one of them (I don't remember which one.) 

Next month, we'll be going out of town to let her compete again.  What I love is that she really wants to work harder to do even better next time.

I want to be completely truthful here without being negative.  Creative Princess's scores were low-in the 4's.  The other age bracket for her level was younger and most of their scores were in the 6 and 7's.  Now I am totally ok with this.  These are the girls that have gymnastics more than twice a week.  They most likely spend a lot more time practicing.  I'm fine with the twice a week.  I have not shared this with her but I do plan to.  I have no desire to increase how often she goes to practice, but I would like to see her practice a bit more at home on her own. 

We took pictures but most of them did not turn out-it's a gym and I'm no professional.  Also, I haven't gotten permission from the other moms yet about posting pics of their kids so I chose two not too blurry pics of Creative Princess to share here. 


1 comment:

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Well done! Her very FIRST competition, and that's such a huge achievement. :)