Wednesday, July 14, 2010

School Time

I just read Denise's blog about back to school. Like Denise, I love going into an office supply store. I love organizing things (not that you can tell from the way my house looks. LOL) As a kids I liked the new school year for all the new paper and pencils and other school supply stuff. As an adult, I stock up on school supplies. Here's my confession-I have a big box of Crayola crayons (96, I think) in my closet, just for me. I haven't even used them yet. They've been there awhile.

The other thing Denise wrote about was curriculum. My blood pressure went up just looking at her list. Now, granted, she has one more child than I do and that extra child is a high schooler this year, but still...

Here is my curriculum list, ready?

Curriculum 1: KONOS, Vol 1: This is a unit based study. There are a lot of ideas and suggestions on projects so I will pick and choose what I want us to do, tailoring the majority of the projects to my kids needs, wants and interests. We'll do a lot of reading aloud with this curriculum

Curriculum 2: Math: But wait, you say, that isn't a curriculum, that is a subject. Yes, well, you are right. Math consists of me printing free worksheets off the computer or pulling worksheets from a Costco workbook and giving it to the kids to do. That said, I kept some pre-algebra and algebra textbooks for Precise Prince who really wants to learn algebra. So I'll let him work on those on his own. Maybe I'll bother with guiding him, maybe I won't. (I will if he asks but whether or not I will force some guidance, we'll see. The textbooks are a couple of grades ahead of him so there is no need to rush.)

Curriculum 3: TOS Reviews. Whatever we review will be part of our curriculum. I know we will be reviewing a cursive writing program next month. I'm excited about that. Precise Prince can write cursive but he is still slow at it and sometimes has to look at the chart to remember a couple of the letters. Creative Princess knows a little bit.

Curriculum 4: Oops. There is no fourth curriculum. That's it! Hey, three is more than I've sometimes used in the past.

Oh wait, maybe there will be a fourth curriculum. I will be working on spelling with Creative Princess, but I will most likely not use a curriculum. I will just work with her on the words she misspells the most.

Ok, another thing to mention. You may notice that there is no Bible in my list. I do not consider Bible a curriculum. I desire it to be part of our every day lives (we're still working on making this a reality every day).

No comments: