Wednesday, July 14, 2010

TOS review: When I Grow Up, I Wanna Be A Firefighter


Our next item up for review was in the TOS "When I Grow Up, I Wanna Be..." series. It was about firefighters. Here is the link to this book. The cost is $8.95 and it is recommended for ages 4-10.

For the most part, I enjoyed this e-book. I appreciated that it wasn't just the basic learning about fire trucks and what a firefighter does when he's not fighting fires. There was a history of firefighting, information about salaries and building codes and even a fun section on robotics. The book was written from the viewpoint of a firefighter and there is a section called "My Life as a Firefighter."

There were worksheets (one about math, a crossword puzzle, a fill in the blank story and a few other things), coloring sheets, copywork, and vocabulary, so you could use this as a short unit study. In the robotics section, there is a project for building your own model arm that looks very cool! For our family, we chose to skip most of the worksheets. Nathan did ask me to print out the crossword puzzle and word seek as he enjoys doing those.

Nathan enjoyed the book and asked me to keep reading. Alex kept asking me "can that be all we read" until we got to the part about dogs and firefighting. Since she is a pet lover, that interested her! I do think that a child interested in firefighting would enjoy this ebook and I liked that there was stuff in it that you don't always see in a kids book about firefighters.

I would recommend this for anyone with a child who loves anything about firefighting, though I would like to see the cost about a dollar or two less.


(originally posted in Feb.)

No comments: