Wednesday, July 14, 2010

TOS Review: Download 'N Go Expedition Australia


I am excited to have the opportunity to try out for the TOS homeschool crew. I received a download for Expedition Australia by Amanda Bennett and the Old Schoolhouse to review. This study is recommended for grades K-4th.

This is written to be a 5 day study about Australia. The days are set up as follows:

Day 1: Where on Earth is Australia?
Day 2: Some of the Special Places in Australia
Day 3: A Bit of Australian History
Day 4: Cool Things to Know About Australia
Day 5: Fun and Games in Australia

Each day contains links to pertinent information, printouts to assemble a lapbook, suggestions of other books to read, printouts, a geographic feature of the day which allows some drawing creativity, information on Australian words and animals and other helpful information.

This complete unit study is well written and easy to follow. I was able to just take a short time looking through the day’s activities, pick what I wanted our family to do, and follow a few links. There were some activities I skipped that would have been great to use for Kindergarten and First Graders. It took me less than 10 minutes to do this and print out the pages I wanted my kids to use. The printouts are in color, though I think you could print most of them on a black and white printer though you would miss out on some of the beauty of some of the pictures.

The kids and I sat down and followed the links in the packet. We also worked on the lapbook portion and some of the other worksheets. It was fun to do with the kids and it wasn’t hard to get them to work on the printouts. There was no complaining. Their favorite thing to do so far, has been an online scavenger hunt.

One downside to this packet was that although there were elements to make a lapbook and there were links to what lapbooks were, there wasn’t a diagram or picture of how to assemble the lapbook for this specific unit, nor did it tell us how many folders are recommended to use for the lapbook. Therefore, we will have to wait until we have all the pieces ready and then figure out how to put them in our folder or folders.

I confess when I first saw that this was an Amanda Bennett study, I was apprehensive. I remember looking through an Amanda Bennett Unit Study years ago and remember it basically being an outline of what to study without additional information. It wasn’t something that fit us at the time. However, I liked this Australian Expedition download and even spent some time looking through other downloads offered in this series. I would definitely purchase another item if it fits what we are studying. The cost of $7.95 is worth it.

Click here for the link for this study. You can see other products they offer as well.

Also, if you are interested in trying out for the Homeschool Crew also, click on the link in my first paragraph.

(originally posted in Feb.)

No comments: