Monday, March 7, 2011

Day 13: Your five favorite books and why

These are not necessarily in order.  I used to love reading but don't do much of it now so I really had to think about this one.


The Bible

Yes, this is a given. It's the handbook for life!

Love Comes Softly by Janette Oke

I loved this whole series.  It's a fictional story set in pioneer days.  A woman, Marty, loses her husband on a trail going west.  She is given a marriage proposal by a widower, Clark, with a young child and accepts.  Marty does not tell Clark she is newly pregnant.  The series follows their lives as they fall in love.  It is a Christian story and I love how this family loves God.

Left Behind by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins

Another series I like.  Actually, I haven't read the last book yet but I re-read all the other books (I'm on the second to last one now) and hope to have it read before the baby is born.  This is a fictional story and I think that is important to remember for this series.  It follows a group of people who become believers after the rapture.  Now, there is disagreement in the Christian community about when the rapture will occur and all that and frankly, it isn't something I studied nor plan to in the near future.  I take this book for what it is-fiction.  But as it is from a biblical view, it still encourages me to continue in following Jesus and that is important.

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

This is one of my favorite kids books.  In a children's literature class in college we were put in groups and had to choose a book to do a presentation on.  I memorized the book for the presentation and it just remains a favorite.  Why? I don't know-I just love it.

I just can't seem to come up with a fifth.  I'm really not into "self help" type books.  There are a few that I've read and really enjoyed (Feminine Appeal is one)  but the problem I have with putting them as a favorite is that too often, they can overshadow what the Bible says.  These books-the Christian ones-should always be compared to the Bible and should never take the place of love.  There is a lot I could say on this, but I won't.  So I'm going to leave my list to three fun books and one serious book for now.

No comments: