Friday, May 13, 2011

What's Up?

I've been struggling to be in a blog mood.  I spend enough time at my computer-I just don't usually feel like thinking and writing-it's so much easier to just read things.

Really there isn't much to blog about.  We're just getting by day by day around here.  Precise Prince has been having 3-4 baseball games a week to make up for some of the games that were canceled.  Last nights game was canceled so we'll see when that gets rescheduled.  World Traveler is preparing for another trip to Norway for 10 days.  While he is gone, Precise Prince has 6 games.  Sigh.

Creative Princess has her gymnastics two times a week.  The nice thing is baseball and gymnastics haven't overlapped since the actual baseball games started so I don't have to try to figure out how to be at two places at once or get my mom to help me out.  Creative Princess's gymnastics show is the first week of June and then I think she'll have a couple of weeks off before summer session starts.  We'll do the first session-usually part of June and July but I think we'll skip the second session-July and August.  I could use a little break while waiting for the baby to come without running all over the county.

School has been mostly working on review products.  Although there have been some stressful moments with the reviews (like during the first trimester sickness) being part of the TOS review crew has been a big blessing this year.  It has really kept me on track for school.  Even if we weren't doing our "normal" school stuff (which honestly by Jan. we really weren't-we were working on review items), we were still getting school done.  I have only 4 reviews left this year-all due before the end of May-and I just realized this morning that I need to sit down and figure out what we're going to do for the rest of the year.  The plan is to school through July and take August and September off.  I may just start next year's school in June.  That is probably the easiest thing to do.  I didn't reapply for the review crew for next year.  I just know that with a baby, it would be too much for me. I'll be doing a post in June with all of our favorite review products so watch for the wrap up. 

I'm keeping next year simple.  The kids will both have a math and language arts program to work on daily.  Then they will choose a subject to study for 2-4 weeks pretty much on their own.  We'll utilize the library and what we already have.  Of course, the subjects will be chosen from a list I give them, with the exception of the first month.  I'll let them choose the first subject to be anything they want.  I can guarentee Creative Princess will pick something to do with pets-mostly likely dogs.  Precise Prince is harder to pin point.  It will depend on what he is interested in at the time.

I am pretty sure that I'll use the 7th grade Teaching Textbooks for Precise Prince's math. He really wants to do Pre-Algebra.  I do think he could but he tends to rush through his problems and make silly mistakes (adding something wrong simply because he's rushing).  There are a few concepts I want to solidify with him-mostly things like multiplying and dividing mixed fractions and being sure he knows where the decimal goes when muliplying and dividing--things like that.)   For Creative Princess, we'll just go to the teacher's store and I'll let her help me pick out a math workbook.  For fourth grade, I just can't see spending much money on math and the concepts won't take a lot of my time to explain.  We'll be using Writing Tales for language arts.  This was one of our review products that was truly an answer to prayer.


For the purposes of allergies, we are having laminate flooring put in our bedroom to replace the carpet.  Well, you know how this type of thing goes.  Our bedroom has a door out to a small balcony.  The door was leaking.  In the end, we ended having the door replaced.  We actually had planned to replace the door eventually-just not this year.  Originally, we were just going to do the floors but World Traveler decided to have the trim replaced too to match the new floors.  It will look much better that way.  We aren't however, replacing the closet door or the door to our room.  Eventually we will but not this year.  The nice thing about all this is the person who is doing the work for us is my friend's husband's and totally trustworthy.  I love having someone I can trust will do the best job and not cheat us!  If you need work done, I'll pass his info on to you.

What else?  Not much really.  Between the house being torn apart for the floor, school and sports, there isn't time for anything else.  I am very thankful that the nausea has improved greatly!  I am actually able to go 2 hours without needing to eat and I have a bit more energy since I'm feeling better.  I do still need a nap most days but I'm ok with that.  I like a good nap even when I'm not pregnant.

Oh, we did get to meet up with a friend who moved away a few years ago.  She came to our area for a visit and we set up a playdate with the homeschool group.  It was a lot of fun seeing her and the kids!

No comments: