Thursday, September 15, 2011

The past few weeks

A little background:  Creative Princess had a severe milk allergy until she was 7.  We discovered it when she was only a few months old and I was nursing her.  I avoided the foods she was allergic to (which included egg) and continued nursing her until she was 2.  So I have some experience with food allergies in a breastfed baby.

(Warning: poop discussion following)  I noticed a few weeks ago that Little One's diapers seemed off.  Her poo wasn't the brown, seedy poop of a breastfed baby.  This was after we stopped having to supplement with formula due to low blood sugar problems. Having gone through what I did with Creative Princess, I decided to take all milk products out of my diet.  Lo and behold, her poos have been more normal for a couple of days (after a week off milk).  She had her one month dr. appt. today and she confirmed that milk was probably the culprit.  Looks like I'll be going without dairy for awhile.

Little One's check up went great today.  She's gained two pounds since birth and is 2 inches taller.

Sleeping has been going pretty well.  Most nights we start off with a 3 or 4 hour stretch.  Two nights ago, it was 5 hours.  Little One seems to be making her own schedule.  She's has awake time in the morning and evening.  Some evening's she is a bit fussy, but not too bad.  She cluster feeds most evenings-Precise Prince did the same.  I don't mind the cluster feeding but it makes it a challenge to go anywhere in the evening.  Plus I don't want to be judged for it.  Funny, I normally don't care what others think but I feel like I have to defend some of my parenting practices for babies-I feed on demand, refuse bottles for at least 5 weeks (we will start a bottle soon in hopes Little One will take expressed milk occasionally), don't do pacifiers, like baby wearing, don't start solids before  baby is 6 months and sitting on her own, support co-sleeping (and we do co-sleep for part of the night, some nights), and I don't schedule my baby.  Now, I don't care if others don't do things the way I do as long as they are taking care of their babies.  I would say more on these issues but really, I need to go to bed and still have a few more things to type.



I turned 40 recently.  We're having a small BBQ this weekend to celebrate but for my actual birthday, my family spoiled me.  I got a comfy blanket, a new shirt and a gift card to Gene Juarez (can't wait to get a massage but will need to wait until Little One is nursing less.)  My dear older daughter baked me a cake (milk free) and my son cooked dinner (Cornish hens, potatos and corn).  My husband cleaned up and I just relaxed.  It was a perfect day!



Other pictures to share:

Cousins

My niece wouldn't let me get a picture of her holding the baby but her fiance would.  He is a natural!

I didn't go to our church retreat this year.  The night before I didn't get much sleep and the thought of being exhausted and having to nurse undercover in 80 degree weather did not sound good.  World Traveler took the big kids and had fun as usual.




I had to add a couple pictures of me with Little One.  I only have a few. 

1 comment:

Heather said...

We missed you at retreat! Happy belated birthday to one beautiful and confident mama with three beautiful kiddos!